Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Riding the Metro

After a long weekend of trekking all over DC and the metro area, Nick still didn't really find anywhere he thought we should live. I spent a lot of time on the phone with him, looking at google maps and telling him where to go. I still think it was worth it though. He found a couple of areas that we're now going to concentrate on: Petworth, an area pretty much directly North of the city (but still technically in the District), and Rosslyn, a town near Arlington that's near the river. He may or may not continue looking next weekend. That will just depend if he can find someone to take him to and from a Metro station.

Speaking of that, Nick had his first trip on the Metro yesterday. I think he did really well and seemed to know where he was going when I talked to him. He texted me "this is nothing like Marta" when he first got on. I figured it wouldn't be. When I look at the rail map, it's like a giant multicolored spider with all the different lines you can ride. But that's good, because I have no idea how to drive around in the area. We will definitely be living near a Metro station, because Nick gets reimbursed through his job for riding it.

I have a job interview!

I have been applying for a few jobs online, and sending a note along with my resume explaining that I will be relocating at the end of the month. The other day I came across a posting for a part-time administrative position at a florist. The job description was basically typing up quotes and bookkeeping type tasks. At this point, I'm just wanting to find something, so I send in my resume. Yesterday, they called me to tell me I am over qualified for the position, but they want me to interview for a management opening. She told me a little bit about the florist itself. They are one of the largest florists in the DC area, and they do a lot with high profile events like galas, etc. I think they have four or five locations in DC. They also sell home decor at their shops, which is awesome. The job would be for a manager position at either the Georgetown or the Ritz Carlton location. Holy cow! I'm intimidated, but I'll do my best. My interview is the day after Nick's graduation. Wish me luck!

So now the countdown begins. Today is nine days until Nick graduates. The time has passed so quickly! When he left I felt so sad that I wouldn't be seeing him for a whole month. Now my flight to DC is looming over my head because I've got to finish packing!

This weekend I am running a 5k race in Oakland Cemetery. It's called "Run Like Hell" and the entry fee that I paid goes to benefit the cemetery to help them fix the damage they incurred from the tornadoes this past spring. It's my first race...I've been training since July. Though lately, I have been slacking and my run yesterday didn't go so well. My goal is to run it (it's 3.1 miles) in under 30 minutes, but I don't know anything about the course or how hilly it is. I'm nervous, but I'm definitely going to finish no matter what. I hope to continue running races, and work my way up to a 10k, and then a half marathon. I don't know about a marathon though. Maybe one day I will...

1 comment:

The Tall Girl Cooks said...

I am so excited for you! An interview already? And I laughed about the part where Nick said the Metro was not like Marta. It's a whole different world up there.

Have fun running like hell!